Children Dentists in Beckton, London
Looking After Your Teeth »
Brushing for Brace Wearers
A good technique will take 2 minutes.
- Brush your teeth twice a day, three times if you have a fixed brace.
- Spend 2-3 minutes brushing, 3-5 minutes if you have a fixed brace.
- Use a timer or listen to your favourite song to make sure you are spending the right amount of time brushing.
- Brush in big circles, starting one side first and working your way round to the other side, top and bottom.
- Remember to clean behind your teeth as well as the front.
- Use an 'inter-space' toothbrush to get to all the smaller areas and around the brackets, under the wire if you have a fixed brace.
- Use disclosing tablets regularly after brushing so you can see any plaque you may have missed (see instructions for use).
- Use a fluoride (alcohol free) mouthwash in the evening after brushing; this will help prevent tooth decay.
- Change your toothbrush every 3 months.
- Visit your regular dentist for check ups.
- Cut down on all sugary drinks and snacks.